A lot has transpired in my world this past year. The two most remarkable things are obtaining a graduate degree in Marriage and Family Therapy and launching my blog. It’s interesting how things happen as they should when we’re staying the course.
For years, I had no clue what course I was on because it seemed I was all over the place. My background is so eclectic it’s not funny. There was, however, always this looming thought, “It will all come together at some point.” I believe that time has finally arrived.
Most are unaware of the fact that I launched two blogs before The Broccoli of Dating.
Actually, one of them never saw the light of day because it was just one post that I published privately. This was three years ago. I also launched my first blog, Confessions of a Frugalista (some may remember) just about ten years ago. That was when blogs weren’t really THE thing.
So much has changed. Now everyone is a blogger. Which is sort of neat and also annoying (lol). Sometimes I even cringe a little as I’m sharing with someone I have a blog. The blogger space has no doubt become saturated. I do feel though, great content along with a compelling story/angle will continue to win.
Can you guys believe it’s already been six months since The Broccoli of Dating launched? I realized this last week as I was approaching my 50th blog post. I shocked myself! That’s A LOT of content. I keep saying, “who knew I had all of that in my brain?”
6 things I’ve learned in 6 months as a Blogger :
- I’m A Writer: This may surprise you….even though I’ve had two other blogs, it wasn’t until The Broccoli of Dating that I realized, I’m a writer! Writing for my blog, I’ve discovered the difference between a gift/talent and a job. Writing is my gift so it never feels like a job.
- Marketing is Digital: I’m actually ashamed to tell people my undergraduate degree was in marketing because I feel like this is what I suck at the most. This wasn’t always the case though. I beasted at marketing when I had my company 10 years ago. To generate income pipelines, I hit the streets. I had a residential and commercial cleaning service so, I would wake up at 5 a.m. and drive to new residential communities and put flyers on each door. Then when businesses opened at 9 a.m., I’d solicit my services to them. It worked! While I still see the value in being out and about to market yourself. The landscape has changed significantly. I wasn’t ready (**in my Kevin Hart voice)! After floundering about for five months, I decided to enlist the help of someone who does Digital Content Marketing for a living.
- People Crave Authenticity: I wasn’t expecting the overwhelming response to the transparency, vulnerability, and authenticity/rawness I express via the content in my blog posts. It’s naturally who I am so I wasn’t readily able to recognize how major it is, especially in our culture today.
- This is Hard: Man listen, having a full-time job and a “side hustle” is not a joke. I feel like such a punk sometimes because I wonder why it’s so hard for me. And my challenge isn’t writing, this is truly my happy place. It’s everything else that goes along with having and promoting a blog. I’m not complaining, I’m just being real. Cheers to everyone else who is juggling a million things and able to make them pop!
- I Have A Lot To Say: Seriously, I’m starting to get on my own nerves (lol). I had no idea I had so much to say. It’s actually pretty freeing though. The last 7 years, I felt silenced in large part. As you guys already know (if you don’t- start with My Story), I’ve been on an intense healing journey. So, there were often entire seasons where I didn’t know what I was thinking or feeling. Everything seemed to be jumbled together and blurred. But all the while, I was reading, studying/learning, healing, growing, and transforming. I guess it makes sense that at this point, there’s much to be said.
- I Am A Content Snob: Guys, I can’t just write anything and post it. Like it’s not even in me to do. I am extremely intentional about what I write. If I wouldn’t read it, I don’t write it. Also, I don’t shortchange ya’ll. I give it to you real. Again, this is something I appreciate as a consumer of content. So, why would I give you guys anything less? This makes me proud though…to know I can stand behind my content and brand 100%.
HEY, Before You GO...
I'm working on TONS of great stuff for the Broccoli of Dating!
Make sure you SUBSCRIBE and stay up to date!